Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Gillian Flynn's books

The advent of the Amazon Kindle has created an entire new world of eBook readers and self-published authors. Some of them write beautifully, while some of them should probably go back to their day jobs.

The best of these new authors that come from this are sometimes good enough for established authors (King, Koontz, Grisham, Brown, etc.) to write good reviews for their work. I have read quite a few of these eBooks on my Kindle since their first offerings are usually free, or at most $1.99 (with escalating prices as popularity rises).



The author that I want to mention today is Gillian Flynn. She has written 3 books...the first two of which I have read. The 3rd book, Gone Girl, is on the NY Times best-selling eBook list for the last few months and was only topped by the "50 Shades" books. It has now dropped to #5 behind Deborah Harkness' sequel to her first book. Seeing Flynn's book there for so long is what made me seek out her first two books.

The first book, Sharp Objects, is pretty good (Serial Killer, family secrets, returning to hometown...). I give it 3 1/2 stars.


The second book, Dark Places, is very good (mystery, family drama & violence, sibling drama...).  I give it 4 stars.
The third book, Gone Girl, is definitely her best one (husband, wife, 5th Wedding Anniversary, wife is missing, He said/She said, police involvement...).  If I say more, I will give away too much. I have never read a book with as many twists and turns. Up to the last page, I had no idea what could possibly happen next.  Gone Girl gets 5 stars from me.
Ms Flynn is one of my new favorite authors. In my humble opinion, she and these new e-book authors are taking over from the old heads like King, Koontz, Grisham, Collins, et al
Photo: Gone Girl ~ Gillian Flynn
This is her 3rd book (I reviewed Sharp Objects & Dark Objects earlier) and definitely her best one.
keywords: husband, wife, 5th Wedding Anniversary, wife is missing, He said/She said, police involvement...
If I say more, I will give away too much.  I have never read a book with as many twists and turns. Up to the last page, I had no idea what could possibly happen next.  Ms Flynn is one of my new favorite authors.  These new people are taking over from the old heads like King, Koontz, Gresham, Collins, et al
Gone Girl gets 5 stars + from me.


Next up: Ms. Deborah Harkness!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment