Saturday, May 26, 2012

Weight Loss

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.


There, I said it.  It is what my mother would have reminded me of, had she been around today.  After FWISD sent me to Phillips Academy in Andover (suburban Boston) Massachusetts one summer for a 6-week math teacher's conference, she became a fan and would tell me that I could do anything.  So I'm saying it to myself.  It's time to start believing those words and stepping out on faith.

I have struggled with poundage issues since my early 40's (when the size 8's and 9's moved into double digit clothing sizes).  My troubles comes from the fact that I could (and did) eat anything in huge quantities and not gain a pound.  The 30's saw my body move from the cute size 3's and 5's of my 20's into 6's, 7's, 8's and the dreaded 9's (borderline from fine to plump).  Now I'm dieting to get my body into 16's.  I could do it with no problem if my abdomen would fall in line with the rest of me.

I have started a regimen of treadmill walking during the week but nothing is moving so far.  As I gradually increase my speed and time on the machine, the pounds will come off.  This I know because it happened before. Monday, I will begin 20-minute sessions (increased 5 minutes from this week's 15) that will increase by 5 minutes each Monday.  As a senior with severe back problems (a few lower spinal discs have little to no fluid in them), this is a great feat.  The walking isn't so bad because I can lean forward as I go.  This relieves the pressure on my lower back.  However, the pain involved in just standing still is a horrible punishment that I would have no one experience if it were possible to avoid it.

So much for the negatives...

Why am I going after it again, after 7 months of inactivity?  Well, I have a 3 year old grandson who is by no means sedentary.  Little Master Elliott Randolph Williams III loves to visit Nana and he wants to visit often.  Knowing that I can refuse him nothing, I indulge him in all things with no guilt whatsoever.  But he wants to PLAY and he wants Nana to play with him. This isn't sitting down and playing with toys...oh no.  We have to play Hide and seek, Tag, Simon Says, Ring around the Roses and things of that nature.

So Nana will build up her endurance in order to comply.   Oh, my...I just referred to myself in 3rd person.  What is that an indication of?  I really don't care.  Little Elly wants Nana to play, so Nana will figure out a way to endure.

The other part of my weight loss plan deals with food.  I'm not going by a formal diet.  I have Nutrisystem food in the house and I eat it when I feel like it.  When I don't, I try to eat fat-free foods (chicken, turkey and fish cooked healthily).  Most of the Nutrisystem foods are tomato-based.  This wreaks havoc on my tender digestive tract (of which I only have half) so I cannot do it all day everyday.

I am in the process of converting a few of my favorite recipes to lower fat versions.  I will be discussing those in the coming blogs that I publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment